OLD FORGE — View will host Watercolor Week, running from Aug. 9-13. Every day that week, a Signature Member of the Central New York Watercolor Society will host a workshop teaching painters’ new techniques to improve their skills.
The workshops being offered are: The Joy of Watercolor Sketching with Diane Klock on Aug. 9, The Joy of Watercolor with Diane Klock on Aug. 10, From Start to Finish with Drayton Jones on Aug. 11, Guided Watercolor Day with Mary Murphy on Aug. 12, and Winter Lake Path Watercolor with Sue Murphy on Aug. 13.
The cost of each workshop is $115, $95 for members. Pre-registration is required for all classes, as space is limited. Register online at View Arts.org/workshops/finearts. All current CDC and State COVID-19 guidelines will be followed. For more information call 315-369-6411.
• The Joy of Watercolor Sketching with Diane Klock will allow both new and experienced students to observe the world around them and capture it onto paper. With Klock’s guided hand, students will become familiar with the process, and leave with a new found talent for sketching.
This workshop will first start with demonstration indoors, and weather permitting will continue in downtown Old Forge for location sketches. Students will leave this workshop with a new found confidence in using watercolors as part of the sketching process. The class will run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Klock’s other class of the week, The Joy of Watercolor, is designed for the beginner student in mind, allowing for a welcoming and inclusive space to experiment and learn.
Klock will lead a step-by-step demonstration covering all the basic techniques and principles of watercolor, allowing students to become familiar with the creative process through practice.
Students will get the chance to create a beautiful watercolor painting, along with a newfound confidence within the medium of watercolor. The class will run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• From Start to Finish with Drayton Jones is open to all levels but will be of much more value to beginners. With the aid of demonstrations and one on one help from Jones, anyone can find the confidence to use watercolors.
Students will start by thinking about what it is they’d like to paint, design what they wish to put on the canvas, and finally paint with help from the instructor.
Students will leave this workshop with a one-of-a-kind work of art, as well as the ability to create even more masterpieces of their own. The class will run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• The Guided Watercolor Day with Mary Murphy is designed for artists seeking aid or advice for new projects, as well as those which are still works in progress. Enjoy a day of watercolor painting with expert help at hand.
Murphy will open with a watercolor demonstration, but the class objective will be to provide individualized coaching for watercolorists who either have works-in-progress or are starting a new painting and would appreciate some advice.
Students will have the chance to have their questions answered, as well as receive personalized demonstrations. All students need to do is bring painting tools and themselves for a pleasant day of painting and learning alongside fellow artists. The class will run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• The Winter Lake Path Watercolor with Sue Murphy will help artists learn the basics of watercolor and create a beautiful winter landscape painting.
Students will follow along with Murphy’s step-by-step demonstration and learn simple tricks and techniques which will help painters of any skill level.
If there is additional time left over, students will be able to create a second watercolor painting with hands on guidance from Sue herself. The class will run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.