The city Planning Board will consider the State Environmental Quality Review and site plan review for Hoffman Development Corp. of Albany to build a car wash at 1315 Erie Blvd. W. during its monthly meeting to be held virtually via audio stream Tuesday, March 2.
Both the SEQR and site plan review were tabled at last month’s meeting, but members of the board indicated then, they saw no reason for preventing the 6,400 square-foot car wash project from moving forward. The proposed project, at the site of the former West Rome School, has drawn opposition from several local residents as well as the Rome Historical Society, which advocated other possible uses which would preserve the building.
The Planning Board will hold a pre-meeting at 6:30 p.m. March 2 and follow with its regular monthly meeting at 7 p.m. As per the governor’s executive order, the meetings will be held virtually via audio stream using a call-in number and access code. All members of the public who wish to comment on a particular agenda item should do so in writing via the public comment form located at http://romenewyork.com/planning-board/.
Anyone who does not have access to a computer who wishes to submit written comments to the Planning Board regarding an agenda item, should do so in writing to the City Clerk, 198 N. Washington St., Rome, N.Y. 13440.
Comments must be received no later than 24 hours prior to the meeting. Comments received by the deadline will be read into the public record during the public comment portion of the meeting.
Access the meetings at the following numbers, using the correlating access codes:
• Pre-meeting: Call-in number 1-408-418-9388; Access code, 129 136 0610; Event passcode, ROME.
• Regular Meeting: Call-in number 1-408-418-9388; Access code, 129 056 4654; Event passcode, ROME.
There has been some community opposition, as well as from representatives of Rome Historical Society, to demolish the current building at the Erie Boulevard West site, formerly known as the West Rome School, due to its historical significance and value.
The Planning Board decided to table the items requested by Hoffman Development last month to allow community members additional time to make comments about the project. Hoffman Development purchased the property on Erie Boulevard West back in the summer.
Also on the agenda:
• Tabled site plan review for a request by C2C Construction to construct a 7,500 square-foot storage building at 122 Otis St.
• A Sketch Plan Review for Hoffman Development Corp. to construct a 6,400 square-foot car wash building at the former Rite Aid pharmacy site at 1727 Black River Blvd.
• SEQR Review and Site Plan Review requests by Floyd Avenue Storage, LLC to construct four additional storage unit buildings located at 1226 Floyd Ave.