Photo contest to return for Canalfest
ROME — Rome Rotary Club has announced the return of its annual photography contest, to be held in the Boathouse at Bellamy Harbor Park during Canalfest ’22 starting Friday, Aug. 5.
The show will open at 5 p.m., and will run throughout the Canalfest festivities. Entry fees are $7 per photograph. All photographs must be dropped off at the Bellamy Park boathouse between noon and 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 4.
Entry forms will be available to fill out at the boathouse at the time of submission. Judging will be Friday afternoon by Jason Tockey, executive director of Rome Art and Community Center. Photography awards will be announced and presented on stage at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 6.
“I think it’s fabulous we have the ability to do that” — bring back the Canalfest Photo Contest, said Rome Rotary President Stephen Mercurio. “A lot of things that fell by the wayside during COVID are coming back. As the club starts to get more members, we have more manpower to bring back some of the old events known to Canalfest, like the pie and hot dog eating contests too.”
Photo contest requirements:
• All photographs must be framed in a simple metal or wooden frame.
• For a more professional look, matting your photograph is highly suggested.
• All frames must be wired for hanging – only properly framed and wired photos will be accepted for entry.
• Color and black-and-white photos will be accepted.
• All photos are judged on image, quality, and presentation.
• Cash prizes will be awarded for: Amateur first ($100), second ($50) and third ($25).
• Limit one prize per person.
• Ribbons will be given for People’s Choice, President’s Award and Rotary Club Award.
• Professionals may enter to exhibit their work, but are not eligible for competition. A professional is anyone who earns more than 50% of his or her income from photography.
Rome Rotary asks that all frames have a wire secured to the back of the frame – about 1/3 of the way down the frame – stretched from left to right. The wire should not show above the photo when it is hung. Presentation is an important part of the judging process.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here