Our pets are an important part of our lives, as we are an important part of their lives.
We do everything we can to keep them healthy as well as make them feel loved and happy. A way to acknowledge the relationship between pets and their pet parents is National Pet Month which is observed during the month of May.
National Pet Month is a way to promote responsible pet ownership, make people aware of the benefits of pets in our lives, also the positive impact that owners can have on their pets. Also to support pet adoption.
There are many different reasons why people have pets:
• Pets are good company and can help people deal with loneliness.
• Stroking an animal can help people feel calm and relaxed.
• Having a pet can help you stay fit and healthy, walking your dog and playing with them can be great exercise.
• Owning a pet can help improve an individual’s mental health.
• Pets are also great for children — they can help a child develop a sense of responsibility.
Some ways that you can celebrate National Pet Month are:
• Donate: Shelters are always in need of supplies such as food and litter, cleaning supplies and office supplies. Monetary donations can help with medical care.
• Volunteer: Shelters are always in need of volunteers to help around the shelter, cleaning and socializing the animals. Also to help at adoption events.
• Foster: Fostering a pet helps animals who are uncomfortable in the shelter to relax and learn what it’s like to live in a home. Fostering also helps with overcrowding especially when kitten season comes around.
• Educate: The best way to end pet homelessness is to help others understand the problem. Sharing Adoptable animals on social media and volunteering at adoption events are all effective ways to spread the message in your community.
During national pet month, just as every other month, love your pet and make them feel like part of your family. Teach children how to properly interact with animals to keep them both safe and young children should always be supervised while interacting with animals.
There are some wonderful dogs and cats at the Humane Society of Rome who would love to become part of a loving family. If you would like to get to know any of them, contact the shelter to up an appointment to meet them. Two of these loving animals are:
Harriet is a 2-year-old beautiful, talkative gray kitty looking for her new forever home. She is a sweetheart with lots of love to give and loves to play with her little toy mice and kingly balls. Harriet loves her treats and wet food. She enjoys being pet and loves hanging out in cat trees. Harriet would be okay in a home with a calm kitty like herself, but one with no dogs. Make an appointment to come in and meet this beautiful girl.
Bagheera is a handsome 2-year-old fellow. He is a talkative and independent kitty who prefers to be on all four feet. He is OK with kids ages 15 and up. If you would like to set up a visit with Bagheera, call the