UTCA — The Arthritis Foundation will hold the 2021 Jingle Bell Fun Run/Walk fund-raiser Sunday, Dec. 5, at Mohawk Valley Community College in Utica.
The foundation’s Jingle Bell Run is the original holiday 5-K race for charity where everyone makes their own festive fashion statement. Organizers said it’s a fun way to get in the holiday spirit and be merry, while running to raise funds and awareness to cure America’s No. 1 cause of disability.
Runners and walkers should report to the Student Center to register at 11:30 a.m. The run/walk kicks off at noon. Cost to register is $35, and any other donations raised may be turned in at that time.
Funds raised are crucial to advance arthritis research — to discover new treatments, and a cure, faster than ever.
This year the Arthritis Foundation will host its inaugural Utica Jingle Bell Run. The foundation will bring together the New York Arthritis Community for some family fun with opportunities to run both in-person and virtually. The Arthritis Foundation welcomes teams of friends, family and co-workers of all ages to run or walk. All proceeds from the registration fee and fund-raising will go to the foundation.
Arthritis affects 22.4% of the population in New York. That’s 3,429,941 adults living with doctor-diagnosed arthritis in the state.
State Arthritis Community
• More than 24 million Americans experience activity limitations due to their arthritis.
• Diabetes: 43.5% of adults in New York with diabetes also have arthritis.
• Heart Disease: 46.4% of adults in New York with heart disease also have arthritis.
• Obesity: 29% of adults in New York who are obese also have arthritis.
• 1,615,500 adults in New York have activity limitations caused by arthritis.
• Arthritis in the U.S. has an economic burden of $304 billion – made up of medical expenses and lost wages.
The Arthritis Foundation has numerous tools and resources available to help you and your employees manage their arthritis.