Blood and platelet donors needed
Just as most cars need to be refueled constantly, so does the nation’s blood supply. The American Red Cross has faced a concerning drop in blood and platelet donations this summer.
Blood and platelet donors needed
Just as most cars need to be refueled constantly, so does the nation’s blood supply. The American Red Cross has faced a concerning drop in blood and platelet donations this summer. Donors are needed to make an appointment to give in August to help prevent a blood
The decline in donations has caused the Red Cross blood supply to shrink nearly 20% in recent weeks. The availability of blood products will continue to decline if donations do not increase. People should not wait until they hear there is a blood shortage to give. Type O negative blood donors and platelet donors are especially needed now.
Donors can schedule an appointment to donate using the Red Cross Blood Donor App, by visiting RedCrossBlood.org or by calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Fuel up on us
As blood and platelet donations drop, gas prices have reached all-time highs in the U.S. As a thank-you, all who come to give Aug. 1-31 will be automatically entered for a chance to win gas for a year, a $6,000 value. There will be three lucky winners. Everyone who comes to give blood or platelets in August will also receive a $10 e-gift card to a merchant of choice.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities Aug. 1-15:
- Herkimer - Aug. 10, 1 to 6 p.m., Frank J. Basloe Library, 245 North Main St.
- Little Falls - Aug. 1, noon to 5 p.m., Little Falls Elks Lodge, 60 Ann St.
- Mohawk - Aug. 9, 12:30 to 5:30 p.m., Mohawk American Legion Post 25, 43 West Main St.
- Canastota - Aug. 4, 1 to 6 p.m., Canastota Veterans of Foreign Wars, 3835 Canal Road.
- Cazenovia - Aug. 4, 1 to 6 p.m., Cazenovia American Legion Post 88, 26 Chenango St.
- Chittenango - Aug. 2, 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Chittenango Parks and Rec Bldg, 707 Legion Drive.
- Hamilton - Aug. 3 and 4, noon to 5 p.m., Hamilton Public Library, 13 Broad St.
- Oneida - Aug. 5, 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Oneida Health, 607 Seneca St., and Aug. 11, noon to 5 p.m., Oneida YMCA, 701 Seneca St.
- Peterboro - Aug. 11, 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Smithfield Community Center, 5255 Pleasant Valley Road.
- Boonville - Aug. 12, 1 to 6 p.m., Harland J Hennessey Veterans of Foreign Wars, 108 Park Ave.
- Camden - Aug. 2, 1 to 6 p.m., St John’s the Evangelist Church, 35 3rd St.
- Clinton - Aug. 3, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Katherine Luther Home, 110 Utica St.
- Rome - Aug. 12, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Rome Elks Lodge, 126 W Liberty St., and Aug. 15, 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., St. Paul’s Church, 1807 Bedford St.
- Utica - Aug. 3, 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., St Luke’s Campus, 1656 Champlin Ave., Aug. 5, 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Redeemer Church, 931 Herkimer R0ad, and Aug. 8, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Utica State Office Building, 207 Genesee St.
- Waterville - Aug. 11, 1 to 6 p.m., Waterville Village Hall, 122 Barton Ave.
- Westmoreland - Aug. 3, 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Westmoreland Fire Department, 100 Station Road.
- Whitesboro - Aug. 9, 1 to 6 p.m., Utica Roadrunners, Accelerate Sports, 5241 Judd Road.
How to donate blood
Simply download the American Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit RedCrossBlood.org, call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or enable the Blood Donor Skill on any Alexa Echo device to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age in most states (16 with parental consent where allowed by state law), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
Blood and platelet donors can save time at their next donation by using RapidPass to complete their pre- donation reading and health history questionnaire online, on the day of their donation, before arriving at the blood drive. To get started, follow the instructions at RedCrossBlood.org/RapidPass or use the Blood Donor App.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here